Basalt Rebar – the alternative to steel and fiberglass Basalt Rebar reinforcement is an alternative to steel and fiberglass for reinforcing concrete Made from volcanic rock basalt rebar is tough, stronger than steel and has a higher tensile strength.
Much lighter than steel, 89% percent in fact! One man can easily lift a 100 meter / 328 foot coil of 10 mm basalt rebar.
Basalt rebar is naturally resistant to alkali, rust and acids. Moisture penetration from concrete does not spall. Needs no special coating like fiberglass rods.Basalt rebar does not conduct electricity or induce fields when exposed to RF energy, great for MRI or data buildings.Basalt rebar is perfect for Marine environments and Chemical plants where corrosion is a continuous concern.
Glass fibre rebar :
* Impervious to Chloride Ion and low pH chemical attack
* Tensile strengths greater than steel
* 1/4th the weight of steel rebar
* Transparent to magnetic fields and radio frequencies
* electrically non-conductive
* Thermally non-conductive